Saturday, May 9, 2009

VATMEX Fly-In

At the fly-in yesterday I heard ATX31 on Houston Center frequency and we set up a chat for most of the flight to Mexico City. He was dogedly trying to get ZHU's attention for liftoff from Laredo, and I had been airborne for a while, departing earlier from Austin. Actually ZHU was so busy, and I must have been just ahead of the horde lining up in Houston so my first contact with any ATC was entering MMTY airspace. They had two controllers on frequency - one speaking English and the other Spanish, so it was sort of a DI-lingual staffing. I flew the Vista Liners Boeing 727-100 Beta with a panel of my own mashed-up design. ATX31 was flying the CRJ-200. The airwaves were busy, but we got good attention from all the VATMEX staffed throughout Mexico. Closer to Mexico City, the terrain rose to the South and West and we got instructions to fly the TAMAL1A. In Mexico, there is a different terminal arrival procedure for each approach. We were cleared for the approach to Runway 5R, and this was my view from the flight deck.



Also notice the mass of radar echos - there's a lot of aircraft in the area. This was a fun event and I hope VATMEX does it again sometime soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Garen,

enjoyed your write up of the Mexico City event! I will say the fellow at Houston Center had his work cut out...I was on the ground for I think 10-15 min before I got clearance. The flight into MMMY was pretty good...had to hold for about 5 min. some 40 miles north of Mexico City. Then spent a little too much time (I thought) being vectored around, but I know they were SUPER busy! Finally given the approach as you mentioned. All in all, a blast. I like the looks of your panel in that 727.

Hope to fly with you again soon.

Jim
ATX31